I only have a few more weeks of summer in which to do my blog posts, so expect to hear from me a lot in the near future. This one is just another linkspam, though … but it has commentary!
If you want to find a polarizing figure in geek circles, look no further than Anita Sarkeesian, a vlogger from California whose videos calling out the gaming industry on its sexism have made her a target for pretty much all the trolls on the Internet.
From time to time I will post link lists showing what I’ve been reading recently and what has been happening in the discourse about women in geek and fan culture. These collected links are to be seen as artifacts of geek culture, and have value beyond just being blog posts about stuff that interests me.
- GeekGirlCon Blog on Why Role Models are Important and Some Empowering Action Figures for Girls
- The Daily Dot on Doctor Who and Sexism
- Web Kunoichi on Codes of Conduct at Gamer/Fan/Geek Conventions
- Ladydrawers Collective at Bitch Media on How to Market Comics to People Who Aren’t Straight White Dudes (last part of a series on the comics industry that begins here).
- The Mary Sue on Lev Grossman’s The Magicians and the Mainstreaming of Fan Culture (I should note that Grossman is the author of one of my all-time favorite mainstream articles on fan fiction, “The Boy Who Lived Forever“) and Today in Adorableness: Itty Bitty Padme Amidala Cosplayer Meets Anakin and Leia
- The Geek Anthropologist on Scholarly Hipsters, Scholarly Geeks Part I and Part II
- Finally, Bon Jovi Making Sunday’s Game of Thrones Episode Even More Awesome [SPOILER ALERT!]